Overheating Discovered in Questionable Panel

This photo is part of a Federal Pacific electrical panel. It is a very common panel in older homes. This brand of panel has been associated with multiple deficiencies, including overheating, as I discovered in this subpanel. The breakers can become loose causing arcing and overheating. The discolored metal (buss bar) was caused by overheating. The overheating condition may never have been discovered by the homeowner or buyer without a thorough home inspection. This panel will need to be replaced.